Summer Safety Tips For Your Summer Fun
Your Yonkers Fire Officers are committed to keeping our Yonkers community safe 24/7/365. As we enter the summer fun season, it's important we enjoy it safely. Here are a few quick and easy tips to make your summer fun, not only enjoyable but, most importantly, safe.
Summer Safety Checklist
- HYDRATE! With the warm temperatures, it's important to remain hydrated as heat exhaustion is not something to mess with. When working or playing outside, make sure to always keep water easily accessible so you can periodically have a sip.
- If you don’t have a fenced yard, teach your child the boundaries. Always have a responsible person supervise outdoor play.
- If you use pesticides or herbicides on your lawn or garden, read the instructions carefully. Don’t allow children to play on a treated lawn for at least 48 hours.
- When you cook food outdoors, screen the grill so that your child cannot touch it, and explain that it is hot like the stove in the kitchen. Store propane grills so your child cannot reach the knobs. Be sure charcoal is cold before you dump it.
- Never allow your child to play unattended near traffic.
- Chemicals, cleaners, gas, car fluids, pesticides and fertilizers can be poisonous.
- Always tightly replace the lids of poisonous products and lock them up out of sight and reach of children.
- Keep all doors and gates leading to the pool locked at all times.
- Invest in baby proofing products like gates and blockades near the pool.
- Never leave your kids alone at the pool. Keep a close eye on them at all times.
- Be sure to always have an adult supervising kids when the grill is on.
- Be sure to keep fire safety tools around like fire extinguishers.